June 22, 2006
New not-exactly-a-business policy
There were a couple of comments on my latest necklace asking whether the jewelry I make is for sale. I've been thinking about it, and also put in a call to my brother to find out the relevant tax rules. I don't really want to make a business of it right now, though it sounds like at least the tax part wouldn't be difficult. Possibly in the future, if I have more time and better skills. On the other hand I also have more handmade jewelery than I can wear, I enjoy making more, and I need to keep making more if I want to build skills. So, here is what I've decided. If you see something posted here that you'd want, or if you have an idea for something you'd like me to make you, comment or email me and we can talk about terms. I'm posting this now so I can refer back to it, in case of any future questions. Some parameters:
Posted by dichroic at June 22, 2006 11:33 AM
- Barter is fine. If you make or have something you think I'd like to trade, ask me about it. If it's writing, like a story or poem, I just get a copy to read. You retain copyright. If it's a material item (say, you have an extra copy of a book I'd like) we each pay our own shipping.
- If you'd rather just pay cash, I can accept Paypal. For something like simple earrings, pendants, necklaces or bookmarks that take me little time to make, I'll just ask for the cost of materials and shipping. For more complicated pieces that take a long time to make, I'll add a small charge for labor.
- For landscape photos, you pay the cost to enlarge and print whatever size you specify, plus shipping. Rudder and I retain copyright to the image.
- I reserve the right to just give things away when I want to. (Dr. Bosun doesn't know it yet, but she's getting a rowing necklace for her birthday in a couple of weeks.) I also reserve the right to keep anything. If I'm being really diligent, I'll note when I post a picture if something's spoken for or if I mean to keep it.
- None of the above applies to knitting except the giving away part. It just takes too long and materials cost too much to ever be anything but a hobby. If I ever give you a hand-knitted item, you can safely assume it's made with as much love as yarn.
- All of the above applies until I say it doesn't any more. If and when I do change these policies, I will try to remember to edit this entry, but no guarantees.
- I've added a link in the sidebar to this entry, under Jewelry Making.
Since I was the one who asked, I think it's probably obvious that I would *love* some of your jewellery, only there's too much to choose from!!! :-P So if you ever stumble across something you think would be *just* right for me, consider this a blanco check for it ;) I can either send you something Danish in return, something homemade (I do gorgeous paper cutouts ;) ), or pay via paypal or by giving you a gift certificate to the store of your choice :-)
I stumbled across your page and am very interested in the crew necklaces, specifically the red, black and white(?) ones with the crew charm on them. Do you still make them? If so what is the cost or would you take a gift card in exchange? What would you like the gift card to be from? Or what kind's of things do you like? I'll see if I have something to trade with. Please let me know. Thanks!